Monday, September 7, 2009

To Kill A Mockingbird

2 1/2 hours

pages 1-111

This story is narrated by a young girl named Jean Louise Finch, but everyone calls her Scout. In the beginning of the book it starts out with Scout talking about how her older brother, Jem, broke his arm. Then she goes on about her family history and how they ended up in Maycomb County. Scout's father Atticus is a succesful lawyer and makes a solid living. Maycomb is a very poor and old town that is going through the Great Depression, but luckily Atticus is still able to provide for his family. Scout and Jem's mother died when they were both young. Jem still has some memories that sometimes make him unhappy but Scout was too young to remember anything. The Finch's have some help from an old black woman named Calpurnia. She cooks for them but also helps raise the children and take care of the house. 

The characters in this story really intrigue me. I can already see some of their personalities growing and changing even though i'm not all the way into the book. I love Scout and her very tom-boyish attitude. I can tell that Jem is going to grow into a very good man and I cant wait to see how mature he becomes.


2 comments:

  1. Yes I did read it. My little sister wanted to start it so I read it to her and I didn't have another book so I used this one.

    ReplyDelete